My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

A veterinary surgeon at www.toapayohvets.com and founder of a licensed housing agency for expatriate rentals and sales at www.asiahomes.com

Sunday, December 17, 2006

34. Gut impaction in a Siberian Husky



"It is your fault," I said to the busy young man who had not followed up on his Siberian Husky and might be blaming the first vet who had warded the dog that had collapsed.

"If your dog continues to have diarrhoea and lose weight, you ought to go the vet for a review and not wait another month."

I should have better bedside manners. If I go on like this, I would be bankrupt.

"My dad says it is normal for a Husky to lose weight," he explained.

"It is not normal for any dog to have diarrhoea for so long and to lose weight." I examined the Husky that I had vaccinated when he was younger. He was thin but looked alert. A shudder from his stomach area as I felt something soft. His owner had complained about that pain.

A dog with long periods of diarrhoea might have the small intestinal loop telescoping into itself. A surgical condition called intussception. Or this dog could have eaten big pieces of non-food items like plastic containers. Impaction of the gut with foreign bodies would be the likely diagnosis. The father and domestic worker would know.

In any case, there was fever. A poor bodily condition. Lots of gas inside the intestines. I gave treatments and drugs expecting this dog to die. A young dog keeps losing weight. How long can he last? Not too long, I said. Surgery is also too risky as he might die on the operating table.

Drugs and fluid therapy for 7 days. He came for the treatment for the first 2 days and then he was nursed at home by the domestic worker. The father confirmed that the dog had loved to swallow plastic containers.

Did the Siberian Husky survive? Yes. Much to my surprise. After 3 months of diarrhoea and weight loss, I expected it was the end of him. The antibiotics must have eliminated the gut bacteria poisoning him. An incredible story. But true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home