My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

A veterinary surgeon at www.toapayohvets.com and founder of a licensed housing agency for expatriate rentals and sales at www.asiahomes.com

Saturday, December 23, 2006

40. The breeder's paper-training secret and the microchipped Husky.

Dec 24, 2006




"The SPCA would not give me the Siberian Husky," a man phoned. "I needed the microchip number from your Surgery. The Seller had passed away before the dog was certified as pedigree by the Singapore Kennel Club."

I was sad to hear that a pet shop operator cum breeder had passed away from a person who claimed that he needed a microchip number to tell the animal shelter that the lost Siberian Husky at the shelter belonged to him. He lost 2 Huskies and did not have the microchip number.

This pet shop operator was good at his profession. Occasionally he would bring his pups for vaccination. He shared with me his secrets of toilet training the puppies. "Just put them on newspapers near their mother while suckling," he said. "By the time they are sold, they are paper-trained. None of my clients ever had problems with paper-training" I was impressed that this was so simple.

The last time I saw him was several months ago. He had a swollen face. "Too much of the fast life as a private banker," he told me. "Now I suffer from kidney problems." I did not expect him to pass away.

Now there is a problem with this particular caller. He wanted to know the microchip numbers so that he could show SPCA that the Husky belonged to him. If not, the SPCA would not release the found dog.

I was sad to hear the news of this pet shop operator. He was in his late thirties. I was not sure that the caller was a genuine owner of the Husky. I dealt with the pet shop operator. It had been several months, maybe a year. Now, this caller wanted the microchip number. How do I ascertain he was the genuine owner? I had my doubts. I asked him to show the SPCA some pictures if he had any. But the most grey Siberian Huskies looked alike.

In other words, as a pet owner, one must be on the ball and be careful. Microchip numbers must be obtained from the pet shop or Seller immediately after purchase. Not wait till the dog gets lost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home